The main Dublin-Derry road passes through Killanny. Several small lakes are to be found throughout the parish and the soil quality is superior to that of the north of Carrickmacross, reflecting the underlying limestone rock.
Killanny lays claim to an association with St. Patrick, through the old Christian site and Annagholish Hill. St. Ultan, who died in the 7th Century, is the patron saint. St. Ultan’s holy well was located in Killanny townland in the 19th Century and the remains of a friary can also be found here. The church in Killanny was used by The Church of Ireland until 1727 when a new church was built in Aghafad. The Catholics returned to use the church in Killanny in penal times. The present Catholic church of St. Enda, built in hiberno-romanesque style in 1927, is on a new site in Tullydrum. It replaces earlier churches in Corcreeghagh, Rocktate and Killanny itself.