A highway for travel and information connected Ulster and Leinster passing through Magheracloone across the bridge at Ballyhoe. Where Breffny joins with kingly Meath at Tobermannon on the Glyde, there Magheracloone is, lying side by side, wrote a local poet in 1957.
Beautiful rolling hills, scenic lakes and a winding river Glyde reflects not Machaire (na) Cluana – the Pasture Plain, but rather it’s historical origin “the meadow or sports ground of Cluain”. Underneath these famous hills and few flat plains, covering 12,952 statute acres lie numerous natural resources such as gypsum, red and blue clay, limestone and small deposits of coal, with their development giving employment to people on the surface.
“A hardy lot” would be a fair description of the people, known far and wide by their black and white colours, reaching over 9,000 in 1841 and standing today over 1800. The desire to know was the core aspiration of all in the “past” with the three national schools of Ballaghnagearn, Drumgossat and Mullaghrafferty starting the young in their quest for knowledge.