Carrickmacross, is one of the few surviving market towns in Ireland. It was developed around a Castle built by the Earl of Essex in 1630. The Convent of the St. Louis Nuns now stands on the original castle site. The area has a number of historical sites including the Round Tower in Inniskeen. St Patrick’s Cemetery Donaghmoyne is the final resting place of Cathal Bui Mac Giolla and the Carrickmacross is home to the world famous Carrickmacross Lace. The area is also well known for the quality of it’s fishing lakes.
The town is situated in south County Monaghan and is located on the N2 Dublin to Derry. The town is easily accessible by bus or car and is situated 80 km/50 miles from Dublin Airport and and 110 km/75 miles from Belfast.
Walking Tours of Carrickmacross take place every Saturday from Easter to Halloween, they are free of charge and take approx. 90 minutes. For more information please click here: Carrickmacross Walking Tours Flyer
For information on bus services to and from Carrickmacross, please click on the links below: